Equips students with the tools to design immersive interactive systems for the internet-of-things (IoT). Students will learn the difference between traditional user experience design and user experience in IoT. Students will be required to implement a small interactive system for pervasive and immersive user experience.
Topic 1: User experience design for the internet-of-things (IoT)
Topic 2: Overview of IoT components (networks and things) and their effects on user experience design
Topic 3: Understanding people, activities, context and technologies
Topic 4: Product information and strategies
Topic 5: Interface and interaction design
Topic 6: Cross-device interactions and inter-usability
Topic 7: Interoperability
Topic 8: Responsible IoT design
Topic 9: Designing data visualisations for immersive interactions such as virtual reality
Topic 10: Iterative design: Prototyping and learning
Topic 11: Designing complex and interconnected products
Topic 12: Recent trends in user experience design
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and explain the challenges of designing user-centred interactive experience in IoT|
|2||apply appropriate methods and techniques to successfully design interactive technologies that engage users|
|3||consider and use appropriate activities, context, multi-platform technologies for interactive system design|
|4||design, develop and create user-centred interactive systems for IoT|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and explain the challenges of designing user-centred interactive experience in IoT
- apply appropriate methods and techniques to successfully design interactive technologies that engage users
- consider and use appropriate activities, context, multi-platform technologies for interactive system design
- design, develop and create user-centred interactive systems for IoT
- Rowland, C, Goodman, E, Charlier, M, Light, A & Lui, A, 2015, Designing Connected Products: UX for the Consumer Internet of Things, O’Reilly.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.