|Lismore - BB||Study Period 1||Study Period 1|
Introduces students to the broad concept of entertainment law, with an emphasis on the law of the international film and television business. This unit will equip students with a basic understanding of legal and commercial issues surrounding the practice of entertainment law.
1. Introduction to entertainment law
2. Development and financing
5. After Harvey - entertainment in the world of #MeToo
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||describe the commercial environment and the issues that arise in entertainment law practice||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||explain how intellectual property rights are used in the entertainment industry||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||identify the principles of contract law implicit in entertainment law||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||identify the most relevant legislation applicable to the entertainment industry||Knowledge of a discipline|
|5||explain the most common types of agreements used in the entertainment industry.||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
Study Period 1
- Appleton, D & Yankelevits, D , 2018, Hollywood Dealmaking; negotiating talent agreements for film, TV and new media, 3rd edn, Allworth Press, New York. ISBN: 9781621536598.
- Moore, SM, 2018, The Biz: the basic business, legal and financial aspects of the film industry, 5th edn, Sillman-James Press, Los Angeles. ISBN: 9781935247180.
Teaching and assessment
Lismore - BB (intensive)
|Lecture on-site 16 hours (Over 4 days)|
|Participation and Class Activity||40%|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 3
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.