Provides students with a working knowledge of the basic concepts and different legal classifications of property; the concepts of possession, ownership, tenure and estates; systems of title to real property, and the nature and types of real property interests, including leases, mortgages, easements and covenants.
- The concept of property
- Personal property
- Tenure, estates and native title
- Land and fixtures
- Creation and transfer of interests in land — legal and equitable interests
- Torrens title, indefeasibility of title and exceptions to indefeasibility of title
- Study week
- Torrens title, unregistered interests, priority rules and caveats
- Easements, profits à prendre and covenants
- Exam review
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||Explain the theoretical, social and economic values of property|
|2||Identify fundamental principles of property law, and the context in which property law functions|
|3||Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and rules of property law, and the policy factors that underlie them|
|4||Apply the principles and rules of property law to solve relevant legal problems|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Explain the theoretical, social and economic values of property
- Identify fundamental principles of property law, and the context in which property law functions
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and rules of property law, and the policy factors that underlie them
- Apply the principles and rules of property law to solve relevant legal problems
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.