This unit examines the principles and rules applicable to the conduct of civil litigation in Australian courts including areas of focus such as jurisdiction, service of process, pleadings, interlocutory applications, judgments and enforcement. This unit covers the areas of prescribed knowledge for civil procedure identified in the Uniform Admission Rules Schedule 1.
Module 1: The adversarial court system: Jurisdiction, management and appearances
Module 2: Commencing proceedings and the rules of pleadings.
Module 3: Marshalling evidence and costs in litigation
Module 4: Interlocutory applications, disposition without trial and alternative dispute resolution options and obligations.
Module 5: Settlements, judgements and appeals.
Module 6: Enforcement of judgements
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the principles and rules which govern the conduct of civil litigation in Australian jurisdictions|
|2||apply the relevant principles and rules of civil litigation to formulate responses to hypothetical scenarios|
|3||demonstrate a high level of skill in the application of relevant rules to the preparation of pleadings and other documents typically required in the conduct of civil litigation|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the principles and rules which govern the conduct of civil litigation in Australian jurisdictions
- apply the relevant principles and rules of civil litigation to formulate responses to hypothetical scenarios
- demonstrate a high level of skill in the application of relevant rules to the preparation of pleadings and other documents typically required in the conduct of civil litigation
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.