Not currently available in 2021
Investigates the evolution of the legal regimes in international trade and development. Examines the basic legal structure of World Trade Organization (WTO), at regional trade agreements including the European Union (EU), Australian Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Students look at dispute mechanisms, as well as legal structure of the World bank and International Monetary fund.
- The development of at the end international trading system at the end of World War Two; the creation of the IMF, the World Bank, the GATT system and the Marshall Plan.
- Proposals for a New International Economic Order, including the UNCTAD and the emergence of the Washington Consensus
- The1990s and aftermath of trade liberalization and the World Trade Organization (WTO)
- The WTO, regional free trade agreements, and dispute settlement mechanisms on international trade
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnerships (RCEP)
- Trade agreement with the Trade and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Overview and legal structure of international financial institutions- the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- Loans Policy and Agreements under the international financial institutions
- The trade agreements and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- US-China trade war and the Reemergence of Protectionisms on global trade policy
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||Demonstrate an understanding of the legal structures of international trade organisations|
|2||Demonstrate an understanding of international world banking organisations and their legal structures and frameworks|
|3||Analyse the legal and policy changes that have impacted on world trade|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal structures of international trade organisations
- Demonstrate an understanding of international world banking organisations and their legal structures and frameworks
- Analyse the legal and policy changes that have impacted on world trade
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.