Provides the student with skills in legal research and advocacy necessary to compete in mooting competitions. Students will be eligible to participate in the Jessup International Mooting Competition, if selected.
Analysing a hypothetical legal problem – Legal research and analysis – Teamwork – Moot procedure and court etiquette – Structuring a legal argument – Persuading the judge – Anticipating arguments from the other side – Answering questions from the bench – Closing arguments – Time management – Written submissions – Participation in moots
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||research and prepare detailed written submissions outlining legal arguments|
|2||demonstrate oral advocacy skills in a courtroom environment by the presentation of a legal argument and the response to related questions|
|3||demonstrate an understanding of the rules of professional etiquette through the application of those rules in a courtroom environment|
|4||demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a team.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- research and prepare detailed written submissions outlining legal arguments
- demonstrate oral advocacy skills in a courtroom environment by the presentation of a legal argument and the response to related questions
- demonstrate an understanding of the rules of professional etiquette through the application of those rules in a courtroom environment
- demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a team.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.