Examines the theory and applications of conflict resolution and alternative dispute resolution. Students will be required to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the major theories and approaches to mediation, conflict, negotiation, resolution and reconciliation.
Topic 1: Dispute resolution
Topic 2: Negotiation
Topic 3: Factors which affect the negotiation process
Topic 4: Mediation models
Topic 5: Basic mediation skills
Topic 6: Introduction to mediation theory and practice
Topic 7: The intake procedure
Topic 8: Qualities of an effective mediator
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate a basic understanding of the main alternative dispute resolution processes and their features|
|2||determine which process is suitable to selected types of conflict situations|
|3||demonstrate basic skills and knowledge of interest based negotiation|
|4||demonstrate understanding of ethical and legal requirements when working in ADR processes.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the main alternative dispute resolution processes and their features
- determine which process is suitable to selected types of conflict situations
- demonstrate basic skills and knowledge of interest based negotiation
- demonstrate understanding of ethical and legal requirements when working in ADR processes.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.