Reviews statistical methods and concepts and considers research methodology and data analysis at an advanced level. Modern approaches to null hypothesis testing and alternative approaches to data analysis are considered. The construction and analysis of psychometric tests is discussed.
- Systematic reviews
- Review of research methods, especially analysis of variance and linear regression
- Designing research projects in Psychology, and power analysis
- The logic of null hypothesis significance testing
- The empirical bases underpinning the construction of widely used cognitive and personality assessments
- Factor analysis
- Multiple regression
- Analysis of covariance
- Multivariate analysis of variance
- The practicalities of producing a research report, including graphs and APA format.
- Introduction to advanced statistical analysis
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Be familiar with the different approaches to psychological research, and design a project that accounts for potential confounding factors||Intellectual rigour||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||Be familiar with the traditional approach to null hypothesis significance testing and its associated flaws.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||Analyse complex research data using the IBM-SPSS software package||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||Apply a relevant statistical technique to analyse a set of research data, report on the outcomes and produce a systematic review||Knowledge of a discipline|
|5||Construct a psychometric test, and test its reliability and dimensionality using factor analysis.||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Field, A, 2013, Discovering Statistics using SPSS, 4th edn, Sage Publications Ltd, London. ISBN: 978-1-4462-4918-5.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2017 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.