Introduces students to the application of computational and numerical methods for simulation, optimisation, linear and non-linear equations, differentiation and integration. Develops skills in applying numerical methods for solving application problems, utilising software such as Microsoft Excel and Visual Basic for Applications programming.
The use of Excel and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) for Computational and Numerical Methods.
Mathematical Programming and Optimisation.
Theory and Practice of Simulations, including Monte Carlo Simulations.
Computing Solutions of Non-linear and Linear Equations.
Programming with Visual Basic for Applications.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||utilise Excel and Visual Basic for Applications to implement computational and numerical methods for solving problems|
|2||formulate and solve mathematical programming problems|
|3||implement numerical algorithms for computing solutions of problems such as non-linear and linear equations, numerical differentiation and numerical integration|
|4||demonstrate proficiency in the application of simulations, such as Monte Carlo simulations.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- utilise Excel and Visual Basic for Applications to implement computational and numerical methods for solving problems
- formulate and solve mathematical programming problems
- implement numerical algorithms for computing solutions of problems such as non-linear and linear equations, numerical differentiation and numerical integration
- demonstrate proficiency in the application of simulations, such as Monte Carlo simulations.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.