Develops an understanding of how the physical and chemical properties of a material can affect its behaviour under load. This knowledge is then applied in evaluating the suitability of different types of materials for use in different engineering applications.
Module 1: Types of materials used in engineering
Module 2: Physical properties of materials
Module 3: Chemical properties of materials
Module 4: Industrial coatings and treatments
Module 5: Structural materials in engineering
Module 6: Composite materials in engineering
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of basic chemical concepts relevant to engineering materials|
|2||apply knowledge of basic physical and chemical properties to explain behaviours of engineering materials|
|3||explain how industrial coating and treatments can be used to improve the durability of engineering materials|
|4||select appropriate materials for a simple engineering application|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of basic chemical concepts relevant to engineering materials
- apply knowledge of basic physical and chemical properties to explain behaviours of engineering materials
- explain how industrial coating and treatments can be used to improve the durability of engineering materials
- select appropriate materials for a simple engineering application
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.