Introduces students to a critical analysis of media practices and uses in everyday life. From social networking to watching telly, from political campaigning to going to the movies; particular consideration is given to how we engage with media, and what impact it has on our perceptions of ourselves and the world around us. Students are encouraged to fashion their assignments around their own media interests and uses, thus making it clear that their studies are not something remote from their daily lives.
- Media & Everyday Life
- Representation & Identity
- Media Power: Practices & Control
- Mass[ive] Media & Popular Culture
- Media Audiences
- Globalisation & Media Futures
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||develop a critical perspective|
|2||apply a range of theoretical approaches to the study of media|
|3||comprehend key concepts such as representation, power and identity|
|4||analyse media texts and messages, and recognise their own role, as both audiences and practitioners, in negotiating meanings|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- develop a critical perspective
- apply a range of theoretical approaches to the study of media
- comprehend key concepts such as representation, power and identity
- analyse media texts and messages, and recognise their own role, as both audiences and practitioners, in negotiating meanings
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.