Through the lens of our engagement in everyday life as digital citizens, students gain a critical understanding of the news media’s role in society today and the challenges facing journalists and their audiences in the digital age. Students develop skills in newswriting and production techniques that may be applied broadly across a range of digital news media formats. Practical activities and assessments give students exposure to professional digital journalism workflows.
The unit explores journalism’s role in society and develops news production skills through four modules:
- Digital culture, citizens and the news media
- Issues for journalism in the digital age
- News media audiences, platforms and workplaces
- Digital news production tools
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss the roles that news journalism can play in digital societies.|
|2||explain how and where news is produced, published and consumed|
|3||apply journalistic techniques and conventions in researching, writing and producing news content|
|4||critically discuss representational, legal and ethical issues for journalism in the digital age.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the roles that news journalism can play in digital societies.
- explain how and where news is produced, published and consumed
- apply journalistic techniques and conventions in researching, writing and producing news content
- critically discuss representational, legal and ethical issues for journalism in the digital age.
- Lamble, S, 2016, News As It Happens: An Introduction to Journalism, 3rd edn, Oxford University Press, South Melbourne, Vic. ISBN: 9780190303747.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.