Introduces students to the interactions between manufacturing, materials performance and engineering design processes. Students explore this through a team-based reverse engineering exercise. Common and new manufacturing processes are addressed. Students undertake Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Manufacturing (CAM) exercises, including numerically controlled production of a component.
Module 1. Engineering design and the interactions between manufacturing and design processes
Module 2. Manufacturing process in engineering
Module 3. Design for manufacturing
Module 4. Computational modelling in design
Module 5. Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
Module 6. Reverse engineering, manufacturing
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||develop skills in computer aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)|
|2||understand the role of modelling and simulation in manufacturing|
|3||develop knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials and use it to reverse engineer a component|
|4||develop communication and collaboration skills in writing to demonstrate appropriate graphics and data manipulation.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- develop skills in computer aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
- understand the role of modelling and simulation in manufacturing
- develop knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials and use it to reverse engineer a component
- develop communication and collaboration skills in writing to demonstrate appropriate graphics and data manipulation.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Kalpakjian, S & Schmid, S, 2014, Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, 7th edn, Pearson. ISBN: 0133128741.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.