Introduces the design of mechanical systems. Students work in teams to address a design brief. Scope includes full mechanical design and detailing of workshop-ready engineering drawings, complete specification of material selection and manufacturing processes, risk and safety assessments, systems integration, model-based design using CAD, and design for functionality, reliability and manufacturing. Cost is estimated.
Critical evaluation of design brief
Design of a simple powered machine using principles of systems engineering
Synthesis of machine frame
Power transmission and controls
Risk and safety assessment
Model-based design using CAD
Basic design for manufacture and cost estimation
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||communicate mechanical engineering ideas and design concepts through engineering graphics, oral presentations and written reports|
|2||generate and develop design concepts|
|3||produce engineering drawings to Australian Standard AS1100|
|4||analyse a complex problem by separating it to its individual components|
|5||use CAD and CAM packages effectively|
|6||manage a project: team skills, project scheduling, and resource and time management using Microsoft Project|
|7||communicate effectively with clients and suppliers towards production of a system design with components supplied from various sources.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- communicate mechanical engineering ideas and design concepts through engineering graphics, oral presentations and written reports
- generate and develop design concepts
- produce engineering drawings to Australian Standard AS1100
- analyse a complex problem by separating it to its individual components
- use CAD and CAM packages effectively
- manage a project: team skills, project scheduling, and resource and time management using Microsoft Project
- communicate effectively with clients and suppliers towards production of a system design with components supplied from various sources.
- Budynas, RG & Nisbett, K, 2015, Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design, 10th edn, Edition in SI units, McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 978-981-3151-00-0.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.