Introduces the design of mechanical systems. Students work in teams to address a design brief. Scope includes full mechanical design and detailing of workshop-ready engineering drawings, complete specification of material selection and manufacturing processes, risk and safety assessments, systems integration, model-based design using CAD, and design for functionality, reliability and manufacturing. Cost is estimated.
- Fundamentals of professional drawing
- Design of rolling contact and journal bearings
- Design of gears and gear trains
- Design of clutches, brakes and couplings
- Design of fly wheels and belt drives
- Design of roller chains and wire ropes
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||communicate collaboratively mechanical engineering ideas and design concepts through engineering graphics, oral presentations and written reports|
|2||generate and develop design concepts|
|3||produce engineering drawings to Australian Standard AS1100|
|4||analyse a complex problem by separating it to its individual components|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- communicate collaboratively mechanical engineering ideas and design concepts through engineering graphics, oral presentations and written reports
- generate and develop design concepts
- produce engineering drawings to Australian Standard AS1100
- analyse a complex problem by separating it to its individual components
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Budynas, RG & Nisbett, K, 2015, Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design, 10th edn, Edition in SI units, McGraw-Hill. ISBN: 978-981-3151-00-0.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.