Elaborates on strategic management issues from prior units. Theories about strategies and strategic management are studied alongside illustrative and analytical cases from tourism and hospitality industries, internationally and in Australia.
This unit covers the following areas:
- The history of strategy and an introduction to basic concepts
- Strategy formation in organisations
- External analysis: Opportunities, threats and strategy
- Internal analysis: Resources, capabilities and competitive advantage
- Dealing with competition: Business-level strategy
- More than one industry: Corporate-level strategy
- Implementing strategy
- Strategy and business ethics, CSR and the environment
- Strategic management in whole tourism systems: A final caveat.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate knowledge of theories relating to strategic management||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||critically analyse writings by different authors on strategic management||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||demonstrate skills in applying strategic management theories to practical complexities of tourism and hospitality.||Intellectual rigour||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
- This textbook is available in several formats. It is available as a traditional paper-back book, or it is available as an e-book. Further, electronic versions of individual chapters may also be purchased. Please refer to the publisher’s website for further information. It is entirely your choice which format you choose to purchase. The only mandatory requirement is that you be able to access the chapters/excerpts as prescribed in the online Study Guide.: Hill, W & Jones, G , 2010, Strategic Management: An Integrated Approach, 9th edn, Cengage, Mason OH. ISBN: 978–0–538–75107–0.
- No prescribed texts.
- This textbook is available in several formats. It is available as a traditional paper-back book, or it is available as an e-book. Please refer to the publisher’s website for further information. It is your choice which format you choose to purchase. : Lamont, M (Ed.), 2014, MNG00417 Strategic Management for Tourism and Hospitality Enterprises, Cengage, Melbourne. ISBN: 978-017358583.
Teaching and assessment
Singapore - MDIS
Sydney - The Hotel School
Uzbekistan - MDIS Tashkent
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2014 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 3
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.