Examines the (additional) challenges confronting the global business manager. Firstly explores the vibrant and dynamic global business environment and the opportunities and threats posed by operating in a global environment; notably in political economy and culture. Then turns to the development of global business strategy, addressing strategic management, entry strategies, organisational design and the functional areas of marketing, finance and human resource management.
Topic 1: The global business arena
Topic 2: Theories of international trade and government intervention
Topic 3: Cooperation between nations
Topic 4: Differences in political economy
Topic 5: The cultural environment of international business
Topic 6: Understanding emerging markets
Topic 7: Social responsibility in global business
Topic 8: Global strategic management
Topic 9: Global marketing strategies
Topic 10: Global human resource management
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||evaluate the role of culture, governments and international organisations in promoting global trade and business|
|2||assess the opportunities and threats posed by cultural differences in a global environment|
|3||evaluate the risks, costs and benefits of doing business in different countries|
|4||argue a point of view relating to ethics and social responsibility by global businesses.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- evaluate the role of culture, governments and international organisations in promoting global trade and business
- assess the opportunities and threats posed by cultural differences in a global environment
- evaluate the risks, costs and benefits of doing business in different countries
- argue a point of view relating to ethics and social responsibility by global businesses.
- Cavusgil, ST, Knight, G, Riesenberger, JR, Rammal, H & Rose, EL, 2014, International Business: The new realities, 2nd edn, Pearson, Australia. ISBN: 9781486011049.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.