Engages students in authentic experiences of professional service and workplace practice within hospitality industries. PHE integrates academic and practical learning through students working continuously in one organisation for a 6-month period to gain 600 hours work experience.
- Orientation to the workplace
- Assess the psychological contract
- Develop professional learning objectives for achievement in the workplace
- Tutor workplace support and guidance
- Observe and develop practical and transferable skills and techniques
- Exposure to business practices and organisational culture of a hospitality business environment
- The workplace performance evaluation process
- Reflect on the relationship between academic studies and the hospitality business environment
- Reflection and debrief on the PHE
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||develop, adjust and achieve professional workplace goals||Communication and social skills|
|2||report and reflect on the nature of their chosen industry sector||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning||Communication and social skills|
|3||integrate concepts and principles into authentic workplace practice||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|4||demonstrate capacity to meet workplace requirements and sustain employment within their chosen industry sector.||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning||Communication and social skills|
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Sydney - The Hotel School
|Internship 600 hours (varied)|
|Field work 2 hours (Week)|
|Practical session 2 hours|
|Self-directed project 4 (monthly)|
|Workplace orientation and learning plan||SR|
|Tutor mediated report||SR|
|Review of host organisation||SR|
|Self-evaluation with learning plan and telephone meeting with tutor||SR|
|Workplace performance evaluation||SR|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2015 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 3
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.