|SCU Online||Study Period 1,5||Study Period 1,5|
Introduces students to key theories and concepts in management communication. Develops students’ skills to become effective business and academic communicators, writers and speakers. Students will learn to prepare clear and powerful messages, both individually and in groups. Students will learn strategies which will help them plan, write, revise and edit business documents. Through this process, students will also develop an understanding of, and skills in, the principles of academic integrity and academic writing.
1. Communication theories and concepts
- The communication process
- Communication strategies, styles and choices
2. Managing the writing process
- Business versus academic writing
- Academic integrity, literacy and referencing
3. Writing in genres (Part 1): Persuasion and critical analysis
- Persuasive writing techniques
- Position arguments
- Support claims with reasons
4. Writing in genres (Part 2): Case study and reports
- Elements of a case study
- Draw conclusions from observed facts
- Elements of a report
5. Communicating among people (Part 1)
- Interpersonal communication
- Group communication
- Oral presentations: preparing to speak
6. Communicating among people (Part 2)
- Communicating in a diverse world
- Communicating across cultures
- Communication and sustainability
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Identify different forms and theories of management communication||Communication and social skills|
|2||Apply skills to manage the writing process||Lifelong learning||Communication and social skills|
|3||Apply principles of academic integrity and literacy||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|4||Write clear and concise business documents||Lifelong learning||Communication and social skills|
|5||Apply effective communication skills, both individually and in diverse groups.||Communication and social skills|
Study Period 1
- No prescribed texts.
Study Period 5
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 3
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.