Provides HR practitioners and line managers with the knowledge and skills to engage in strategic human resource planning in the context of the major human resource functions. It aims to develop and apply appropriate HRM metrics and to advocate strategic approaches to organisational stakeholders. HRM operational processes and practices will be described and the role of the HRM professional in building the human capital of the organisation will be explored.
- Introduction and context for Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Organisational changes and human resource planning
- Workforce design and talent management
- Management of performance
- Legislative context
- Evaluations: HRM professionals and the future
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply scholarly theory, concepts and practical processes to Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM)||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||critically analyse the major HR functions, processes and players within an organisational context and appreciation of their role in strategic HR.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||research, analyse and cogently argue appropriate and creative solutions to human resource management issues in academic and workplace genres||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|4||advocate to organisational stakeholders regarding particular SHRM approaches||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
Study Period 1
- Boxall, P and Purcell, J, 2016, Strategy and Human Resource Management, 4th edn, Macmillan Education-Palgrave, London, UK. ISBN: 978-1-137-40763-4.
Study Period 4
- Nankervis, A, Baird, M, Coffey, J & Shields, J, 2017, Human resource management: Strategy and practice, 9th edn, Cengage Learning, Melbourne, Australia. ISBN: 9780170369862.
Teaching and assessment
SCU Online (intensive)
|Structured online learning|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2017 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 3
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.