|National Marine Science Centre Coffs Harbour|
Introduces the diversity of invertebrate taxa, diagnostic features, biological attributes and roles in the environment. Practicals skills will include sampling, sorting and identification of species for rapid biodiversity assessment and students will prepare and display a properly annotated photographic or specimen reference collection.
1. Invertebrate evolution, taxonomy and diversity
2. Multicellularity, symmetry and development of tissue layers: sponges and coelenterates
3. Soft-bodied invertebrates: "worms" and molluscs
4. Invertebrates with exoskeletons: arthropods
5. The deuterostomes: echinoderms and early chordates
6. Ecosystem services and invertebrate bioindicators
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and classify invertebrate taxa based on diagnostic characteristics|
|2||assess the importance of invertebrates as indicators of ecosystem health and the ecosystem services they provide|
|3||apply field methods for sampling invertebrates and methods for assessing diversity|
|4||demonstrate presentation skills and knowledge of the requirements for preparing a properly annotated invertebrate reference collection.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and classify invertebrate taxa based on diagnostic characteristics
- assess the importance of invertebrates as indicators of ecosystem health and the ecosystem services they provide
- apply field methods for sampling invertebrates and methods for assessing diversity
- demonstrate presentation skills and knowledge of the requirements for preparing a properly annotated invertebrate reference collection.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.