Provides the opportunity for students to gain foundation knowledge and skills in Western Art Music, specifically socio-cultural and historical contexts. This unit also provides students with practical music skills relevant to Western Art Music genres, through performance, composition and analysis of repertoire.
- Foundation musicology and history of Western art music
- Analysis of Western art music repertoire
- Composition and arranging for a variety of instrumental and vocal ensembles
- Instrumental and vocal practical studies in a range of Western art music styles and genres
- Ensemble direction and conducting
- Practical workshop and ensemble participation
- Pedagogical training in ensemble and instrumental teaching
- Practical study of a new instrument
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate foundation knowledge and understanding of Western art music||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||demonstrate practical techniques and repertoire analysis appropriate to Western art music genres||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||demonstrate the application of theory to performance and studio practice||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|4||present work in the form of composition, performance and ensemble direction.||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
|Lecture on-site 2 hours (12 weeks)|
|Listening log and repertoire||30%|
|Exam: closed book||40%|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.