Focuses on advanced-level socio-cultural, historical and practical contexts of Western Art Music and contemporary music, through relevant repertoire study, performance, composition and arranging; and provides students with more advanced practical music and pedagogical skills relevant to Western art music genres, through performance, composition, analysis of repertoire and music instruction.
- Advanced-level musicology and history of Western art music and contemporary genres
- Analysis of repertoire from Western art music and contemporary genres
- Composition and arranging for a variety of instrumental and vocal ensembles
- Instrumental and vocal practical studies in a range of Western art music and contemporary styles and genres
- Ensemble direction and conducting
- Practical workshop and ensemble participation
- Pedagogical training in classroom, ensemble and instrumental teaching
- Further practical study of a new instrument
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate broad and critical knowledge and understanding of Western art music and contemporary music genres||Creativity||Cultural competence|
|2||demonstrate advanced-level practical techniques and repertoire analysis appropriate to Western art music and contemporary genres||Creativity||Lifelong learning|
|3||demonstrate the application of theory to performance and studio practice||Creativity||Lifelong learning|
|4||present work in the form of composition, performance, ensemble direction and classroom teaching.||Lifelong learning||Cultural competence|
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
|Lecture on-site 2 hours (12 weeks)|
|Exam: closed book||28%|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2014 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.