Not offered in 2020
Builds on foundational level musicianship skills and knowledge specifically in relation to theory, aural, keyboard and digital musicianship skills (including notation software and digital audio workstation software). Students participate in lectures, tutorials and lab sessions designed to consolidate foundational level musicianship skills.
- Chord construction, chord scale relationships, basic chord progressions
- Compound metres, unusual metres and rhythmic groupings
- Chord melody relationships, four-note chords
- Hearing chord progressions and singing bass lines and voice led-chord progressions
- Basic keyboard skills
- DAW basics (Pro Tools/Logic/Ableton) and notation software basics (Sibelius)
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||perform, recognise and dictate fundamental melodic and rhythmic patterns|
|2||sing arpeggios, recognise and dictate chord progressions based on fundamental harmonic vocabulary|
|3||transcribe simple songs and notate a lead chart|
|4||perform basic melodic, harmonic and rhythmic patterns on the piano keyboard|
|5||demonstrate basic competence in the operation of computer music systems and applications|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- perform, recognise and dictate fundamental melodic and rhythmic patterns
- sing arpeggios, recognise and dictate chord progressions based on fundamental harmonic vocabulary
- transcribe simple songs and notate a lead chart
- perform basic melodic, harmonic and rhythmic patterns on the piano keyboard
- demonstrate basic competence in the operation of computer music systems and applications
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.