Provides the opportunity for students to gain foundation knowledge and skills in Western Art Music, specifically socio-cultural and historical contexts. This unit also provides students with practical music skills relevant to Western Art Music genres, through performance, composition and analysis of repertoire.
- Foundation musicology and history of Western art music
- Analysis of Western art music repertoire
- Composition and arranging for a variety of instrumental and vocal ensembles
- Instrumental and vocal practical studies in a range of Western art music styles and genres
- Ensemble direction and conducting
- Practical workshop and ensemble participation
- Pedagogical training in ensemble and instrumental teaching
- Practical study of a new instrument
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate foundation knowledge and understanding of Western art music|
|2||demonstrate practical techniques and repertoire analysis appropriate to Western art music genres|
|3||demonstrate the application of theory to performance and studio practice|
|4||present work in the form of composition, performance and ensemble direction.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate foundation knowledge and understanding of Western art music
- demonstrate practical techniques and repertoire analysis appropriate to Western art music genres
- demonstrate the application of theory to performance and studio practice
- present work in the form of composition, performance and ensemble direction.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.