|Coffs Harbour||Session 1||Session 1|
|Gold Coast||Session 1||Session 1|
Provides a holistic perspective on the role of the midwife in relation to historical and contemporary maternity services. Basic skills for midwifery practice tested. Principles of communication and reflection within an academic setting are introduced.
- Historical midwifery
- Contemporary midwifery
- Communication within a philosophy of midwifery
- SCU modules on communication within an academic setting
- Preparation for practice
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||discuss the history of midwifery and factors that impact upon the midwife’s ability to provide woman-centred care||Creativity||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|2||define the principles and philosophy of contemporary midwifery from a feminist perspective including scope of practice||Creativity||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|3||identify the legal, ethical and professional responsibilities underpinning the role of the midwife, including critical thinking, clinical reasoning and decision-making||Creativity||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|4||demonstrate the principles of communication and reflection within an academic setting||Creativity||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|5||demonstrate basic skills for practice including proficiency in basic numeracy.||Ethical practice|
- Bayes, S, De-Vitrys Smith, S-A & Maude, R, 2019, Skills for Midwifery Practice, Elsevier. ISBN: Paperback ISBN: 9780729542777 eBook ISBN: 9780729586764 .
- England, C & Morgan, R, 2012, Communication Skills for Midwives: Challenges in everyday practice , McGraw-Hill Open University Press, UK.
- Faigley, LB, 2017, The Little Pearson Handbook, 4th edn, Pearsons Education Inc, Australasia. ISBN: 9781488616846.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.