Provides students with the opportunity to critically analyse contemporary models and frameworks for midwifery leadership, midwifery management and midwifery mentorship/preceptorship: concepts, issues and challenges and their impact on midwifery practice will be examined. The midwife as an educator will also be explored.
- Leadership and management within the Australian healthcare context
- Midwife as educator within Australian clinical context
- Mentorship and preceptorship within Australian clinical context
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically analyse and compare theoretical principles and practices of leadership and management||Lifelong learning|
|2||critically analyse adult learning principles and practices||Lifelong learning|
|3||apply adult learning principles while undertaking the role of midwifery educator||Intellectual rigour||Communication and social skills|
|4||critically analyse the role of midwifery mentorship/preceptorship||Lifelong learning|
|5||apply theoretical and evidence-informed knowledge to a mentor–mentee relationship||Intellectual rigour||Communication and social skills|
|6||critically reflect upon and evaluate your own performance as an educator and mentor.||Lifelong learning|
- Downe, S, Byrom, S & Simpson, L (eds.), 2011, Essential Midwifery Practice: leadership, expertise and collaborative working, 1st edn, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, West Sussex UK. ISBN: EPDF97814444329230.
- McKenna, L & Stockhausen, L, 2013, Introduction to Teaching & Learning in Health Professions, 1st edn, Wolters Kulwer, Lippenscott Willimans & Wilkins, Sydney. ISBN: 9781920994525.
- Yoder-Wise, P, 2015, Leading and Managing in Nursing, 6th edn, Moby-Elsevier, Missouri USA. ISBN: 978032318577-6.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.