Learners explore integrative approaches to gut health and organic and functional gastrointestinal disease. Evidence-based, patient-centred approaches are applied to a range of gastrointestinal conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux disease, inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Learners appraise current gastrointestinal tests and procedures, and are equipped with recognising acute gastrointestinal emergencies.
Topic 1: Overview of functional gastroenterology
Topic 2: Major causes of functional and organic gastrointestinal pathology
Topic 3: Gastrointestinal tests and procedures
Topic 4: Integrative approaches to gastrointestinal disease
Topic 5: Gastrointestinal conditions
Topic 6: Acute gastrointestinal emergencies
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate a critical understanding of both organic and functional gastroenterology|
|2||describe the aetiology of functional and organic gastrointestinal pathology|
|3||critically evaluate current gastrointestinal tests and procedures|
|4||critically describe integrative approaches to gastrointestinal disease|
|5||analyse integrative approaches to the management of gastrointestinal conditions|
|6||recognise acute gastrointestinal emergencies and appropriate courses of action|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate a critical understanding of both organic and functional gastroenterology
- describe the aetiology of functional and organic gastrointestinal pathology
- critically evaluate current gastrointestinal tests and procedures
- critically describe integrative approaches to gastrointestinal disease
- analyse integrative approaches to the management of gastrointestinal conditions
- recognise acute gastrointestinal emergencies and appropriate courses of action
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.