Learners explore current understanding regarding brain biology, biochemistry and cognition. The unit also investigates the impact of biopsychosociocultural factors on brain function. Following this, learners examine evidence-based, patient-centred, integrative approaches to cognition and a healthy brain.
Topic 1: Overview of cognition and the relationship with biology
Topic 2: Neurotransmitters and psychopharmacology
Topic 3: Biopsychosociocultural interactions and brain function
Topic 4: Integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain
Topic 5: The effect of diet, nutrition and exercise on the healthy brain
Topic 6: Mind-body therapies and the healthy brain
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between biology, biochemistry and cognition|
|2||evaluate the role of neurotransmitters and psychopharmacological approaches|
|3||illustrate a critical understanding of the interactions between diverse biopsychosociocultural factors and brain function|
|4||discuss integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain|
|5||critically evaluate the role of diet, nutrition and exercise on brain function|
|6||critically examine the role of mind-body therapies on brain function|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between biology, biochemistry and cognition
- evaluate the role of neurotransmitters and psychopharmacological approaches
- illustrate a critical understanding of the interactions between diverse biopsychosociocultural factors and brain function
- discuss integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain
- critically evaluate the role of diet, nutrition and exercise on brain function
- critically examine the role of mind-body therapies on brain function
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.