2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Learners explore current understanding regarding brain biology, biochemistry and cognition. The unit also investigates the impact of biopsychosociocultural factors on brain function. Following this, learners examine evidence-based, patient-centred, integrative approaches to cognition and a healthy brain.
- Overview of cognition and the relationship with biology
- Neurotransmitters and psychopharmacology
- Biopsychosociocultural interactions and brain function
- Integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain
- The effect of diet, nutrition and exercise on the healthy brain
- Mind-body therapies and the healthy brain
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||examine the relationship between biology, biochemistry and cognition, including the role of neurotransmitters|
|2||illustrate the interactions between diverse biopsychosociocultural factors and brain function|
|3||discuss integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain|
|4||critically evaluate the role of diet, nutrition, exercise and mind-body therapies on brain function|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- examine the relationship between biology, biochemistry and cognition, including the role of neurotransmitters
- illustrate the interactions between diverse biopsychosociocultural factors and brain function
- discuss integrative approaches to maintaining a healthy brain
- critically evaluate the role of diet, nutrition, exercise and mind-body therapies on brain function
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.