In preparation for transition to practice this unit offers students the opportunity to build on their capabilities to enter the workforce. The unit assists students to adapt to continuous change and the emergence of new roles and responsibilities in the health care environments. This unit provides students with the opportunity to contribute to a comprehensive portfolio demonstrating their acquisition of knowledge and clinical experience as relevant to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) competency standards and their commitment to lifelong learning.
Topic 1: Preparation for transition to practice
- Identify employment opportunities
- Demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of employment applications
- Explore the requirements of the professional interview
Topic 2: Career Planning
- Identify various roles of the Registered Nurse in health care
- Explore the educational and experiential requirements to achieve determined career pathways
Topic 3: Professional Portfolio
- Identify regulatory requirements of a Registered Nurse
- Demonstrate and construct a record for continuous professional development as a Registered Nurse
- Reflective practice
- Demonstrate achievement of the NMBA domains using evidence of integrated knowledge and clinical experience.
Topic 4: Establishing your professional identity
- Coping with confrontation in the workplace
- Cultural competence
- Globalisation and nursing
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||Integrate and critically evaluate competency standards from the NMBA||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||Understand and construct professional employment strategies||Creativity|
|3||Critically reflect and explore personal and professional identity in nursing||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||Critically explore career pathways and associated professional development strategies||Lifelong learning|
|5||Synthesise appropriate personal strategies and support networks to be utilised during professional practice||Knowledge of a discipline|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2017 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.