|Coffs Harbour||Session 2||Session 2|
|Gold Coast||Session 2||Session 2|
|Lismore||Session 2||Session 2|
Extends student understanding of mental health concepts and care of clients with acute and long-term mental health and psychiatric problems. Students will be provided the opportunity to develop skills in assessment and intervention inclusive of advanced pharmacological, psychosocial and interpersonal knowledge, cultural sensitivity and capabilities.
- Historical developments in mental health, mental illness and mental health nursing
- Trauma-informed care in mental health
- Models of mental health and illness
- Mental health legislation, ethics and human rights
- Holistic assessment and therapeutic use of self
- Talk-based psychosocial interventions and interpersonal counselling
- Mood disorders: bipolar and depression
- Psychotic disorders: assessment, planning and interventions
- Anxiety and anxiety-related disorders
- Pharmaco-therapeutics in the care and management of chronic and acute psychiatric disorders
- Overview of the Diagnostic and Statistical manual of Mental Disorders [DSM5]
- Intensive Psychiatric Care Unit [IPCU]: high dependency care
- Seclusion and restraint
- Home and community-based care
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and healing concepts
- Preparation for PEP5
As part of the unit, students will also be required to attend a two-week (80hr) Professional Experience Placement in a mental health setting.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply holistic values, attitudes and inter-personal capabilities to mental health specific contexts, including reflective practice and the therapeutic use of self||Creativity||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|2||demonstrate effective person-centred care in mental health assessment and management of a person with a mental health or psychiatric condition||Creativity||Communication and social skills|
|3||apply the principles of prevention, early intervention and recovery in the context of mental health care to people with a mental health problem||Creativity|
|4||demonstrate the ability to sensitively engage with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.||Creativity||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
- Evans, K, Nizette, D, & O'Brien, A (eds), 2017, Psychiatric and mental health nursing, 4th edn, Elsevier, Chatswood. ISBN: 9780729542319.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.