|Coffs Harbour||Session 1||Session 1|
|Gold Coast||Session 1,3||Session 1,3|
|Lismore||Session 1||Session 1|
Introduces students to the concepts of nursing care in acute care settings. Students will analyse and evaluate nursing care across a range of acute conditions. As part of this unit students will complete 160 hours of professional placement.
- Introduction to acute illness strategies
- The practice of nursing care in acute health conditions and deterioration
- Intravenous access/ central venous access devices management
- Parenteral complex fluid administration
- Blood Product Management
- Perioperative care
- Pain management (Patient controlled analgesia/ epidural)
Nursing care in acute
- cardiovascular states: electrocardiograph interpretation, arrhythmia and chest pain management
- respiratory states including Intubation, ventilation, intercostal catheter, underwater seal drainage
- renal/urinary states
- musculoskeletal states
- Preparation for PEP6
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically analyse patient assessment data to determine an effective care plan for patient-centred acute care nursing||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||practice safe and competent nursing care in a range of acute consumer clinical presentations||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|3||demonstrate sound problem-solving abilities applied to professional and collaborative practice in the simulated acute care setting.||Intellectual rigour||Communication and social skills|
- Bullock, S & Manias, E, 2017, Fundamentals of pharmacology, 8th edn, Pearson Australia, Melbourne, Victoria. ISBN: 9781488610028.
- Farrell, M & Dempsey, J (eds.), 2017, Smeltzer & Bare's textbook of medical-surgical nursing, 4th edn, Wolter Kluwer, North Ryde, NSW. ISBN: 9781496349125.
- Weber, J & Kelley, JH, 2014, Health assessment in nursing, 2nd edn, Wolters Kluwer.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.