Explores philosophical theories as they relate to nursing practice. Students critically examine contemporary practice issues as they relate to competency standards, legislation and policy frameworks in the context of practice. Using various narratives of health and illness from Australia and internationally, students will explore factors that influence health and the delivery of care.
- Critical thought and reflection
- Ethics, justice and patients’ rights
- Health informatics and the transmission of thinking
- Evidence-based practices
- Developing an annotated bibliography
- Academic writing and academic integrity
- Social determinants of health
- Nursing and the law
- Professionalism and scope of nursing practice
- Role relationships in multidisciplinary health care
- Health, stress and coping
- National Health Priorities
- Mental health assessment management and psychotropic medications
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||analyse the meaning of nursing care in relation to multiple narratives of health and illness|
|2||analyse the impact of current trends in Australian health care|
|3||discuss the statutory and professional governance requirements that regulate Nursing practice|
|4||demonstrate an understanding of the principles of academic integrity and writing including knowledge of relevant policies|
|5||describe the development of knowledge that informs and constructs conceptual-based thinking.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- analyse the meaning of nursing care in relation to multiple narratives of health and illness
- analyse the impact of current trends in Australian health care
- discuss the statutory and professional governance requirements that regulate Nursing practice
- demonstrate an understanding of the principles of academic integrity and writing including knowledge of relevant policies
- describe the development of knowledge that informs and constructs conceptual-based thinking.
- Daly, J, Speedy, S & Jackson, D, 2017, Contexts of Nursing , 5th edn, Elsevier , Chatswood NSW. ISBN: 9780729542463.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.