Introduces students to the concepts of nursing care in acute care settings. Students will analyse and evaluate nursing care across a range of acute conditions. As part of this unit students will complete 160 hours of professional placement.
- Introduction to acute illness strategies
- The practice of nursing care in acute health conditions and deterioration
- Intravenous access/ central venous access devices management
- Parenteral complex fluid administration
- Blood Product Management
- Perioperative care
- Pain management (Patient controlled analgesia/ epidural)
Nursing care in acute
- cardiovascular states: electrocardiograph interpretation, arrhythmia and chest pain management
- respiratory states including Intubation, ventilation, intercostal catheter, underwater seal drainage
- renal/urinary states
- musculoskeletal states
- Preparation for PEP6
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||critically analyse patient assessment data to determine an effective care plan for patient-centred acute care nursing|
|2||practice safe and competent nursing care in a range of acute consumer clinical presentations|
|3||demonstrate sound problem-solving abilities applied to professional and collaborative practice in the simulated acute care setting.|
|4||relate knowledge of pharmacotherapeutics to safe medication management in acute contexts|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- critically analyse patient assessment data to determine an effective care plan for patient-centred acute care nursing
- practice safe and competent nursing care in a range of acute consumer clinical presentations
- demonstrate sound problem-solving abilities applied to professional and collaborative practice in the simulated acute care setting.
- relate knowledge of pharmacotherapeutics to safe medication management in acute contexts
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Farrell, M., & Dempsey, J. (Eds.). (2017), Smeltzer & Bare's textbook of medical-surgical nursing, 4th edn, Wolter Kluwer, North Ryde, NSW. ISBN: 9781496349125.
- Lewis, P., and Foley, D. (2020), Health Assessment in Nursing, 3rd edn, Wolters Kluwer, North Ryde, NSW. ISBN: 9781925058024.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.