Develops critical thinking and safe practice in the context of care of the surgical patient. Students are provided with an opportunity to build on foundational nursing knowledge and skills, and apply these in managing the patient as they progress through their pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative journey through to discharge. Practice in laboratory sessions, and simulated rehearsal will prepare students to safely navigate a patient through their surgical experience.
- Introduction to Intravenous [IV] Concepts
- Admission and Pre-Operative
- Into the Recovery Room
- Recovery on the Ward
- Discharge Home
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate the principles of safe IV therapy including IV medication calculations and medication practice|
|2||apply critical thinking to the surgical patient’s journey|
|3||demonstrate safe and effective practice in a range of clinical skills to optimise patient safety|
|4||plan safe surgical care in the context of complex surgical presentations|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate the principles of safe IV therapy including IV medication calculations and medication practice
- apply critical thinking to the surgical patient’s journey
- demonstrate safe and effective practice in a range of clinical skills to optimise patient safety
- plan safe surgical care in the context of complex surgical presentations
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.