Not currently available in 2022
Further develop students’ understanding of the relationship between research and practice in nursing. Students will have the opportunity to apply their research knowledge and skills into practice by following the steps of evidence-based practice. This unit will assist students to generate research skills towards improving health care for patients and their varying contexts.
- Cultivate curiosity and generate a clinical problem that can be addressed by research
- Search for the best evidence
- Appraise research evidence
- Integrate the evidence with clinical expertise, patient preferences and values, and apply evidence
- Evaluate the outcomes of the practice decisions or changes based on evidence (Two datasets based on the given topics)
- Disseminate the evidence-based practice results
The above is based on Evidence-based practice: step by step: the seven steps of evidence-based practice written by Melnyk et al. (2010).
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||cultivate a spirit of inquiry from a clinical scenario|
|2||review and critique research evidence|
|3||determine a research question, appropriate methodology and ethical considerations|
|4||apply evidence to nursing practice and evaluate expected outcomes|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- cultivate a spirit of inquiry from a clinical scenario
- review and critique research evidence
- determine a research question, appropriate methodology and ethical considerations
- apply evidence to nursing practice and evaluate expected outcomes
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.