Not currently available in 2023
Develops critical thinking and safe practice in the context of care of the surgical patient. Students are provided with an opportunity to build on foundational nursing knowledge and skills, and apply these in managing the patient as they progress through their pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative journey through to discharge. Practice in laboratory sessions, and simulated rehearsal will prepare students to safely navigate a patient through their surgical experience.
- Introduction to intravenous (IV) Concepts
- Admission and Pre-Operative
- Into the Recovery Room
- Recovery on the Ward
- Discharge Home
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate the principles of safe IV therapy including IV medication calculations and medication practice|
|2||synthesise complex patient data to inform their surgical journey|
|3||demonstrate safe and effective practice in a range of clinical skills to optimise patient safety|
|4||reflect critically on theory and professional practice to plan the safe care of complex surgical patients|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate the principles of safe IV therapy including IV medication calculations and medication practice
- synthesise complex patient data to inform their surgical journey
- demonstrate safe and effective practice in a range of clinical skills to optimise patient safety
- reflect critically on theory and professional practice to plan the safe care of complex surgical patients
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.