|Online||Session 2||Session 2|
Provides a comprehensive overview of nutritional science and its relationship to physical performance. The unit enables students to gain basic skills in nutrition education when related to sport and exercise.
- Introduction to sports nutrition
- Introduction to nutrition education of athletes and exercising persons
- Defining and measuring energy
- Energy systems and exercise
- Carbohydrates for sport and exercise
- Proteins and amino acids for sport and exercise
- Fats for sport and exercise
- Weight and body composition
- Water and electrolytes for sport and exercise
- Micronutrients for sport and exercise
- Disordered eating and exercise patterns in athletes
- Special populations
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically discuss nutritional requirements for exercise and for recreational and elite athletes||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||critically apply nutrition concepts to enhance physical performance, recovery, health maintenance and rehabilitation||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|3||develop a nutrition education resource for athletes or exercising persons||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|4||demonstrate proficient skills in visual presentation and skills in professional writing||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.