Provides a comprehensive overview of nutritional science and its relationship to physical performance. The unit enables students to gain basic skills in nutrition education when related to exercise.
- General nutritional requirements for sport and exercise related to gender, age and physiological state
- Body composition, weight loss, making weight
- Eating disorders and disordered eating in athletes
- Changing nutritional requirements across athletic disciplines
- Competition nutrition (preparation, during the event, recovery)
- Nutrition related conditions at risk in the athlete and the exercising individual
- Exercise nutrition in people with special needs
- An introduction to nutrition education of athletes and exercising persons
- Case Studies
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically discuss nutritional requirements for exercise and for recreational and elite athletes||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||critically apply nutrition concepts to enhance physical performance, recovery, health maintenance and rehabilitation||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|3||develop a nutrition education resource for athletes or exercising persons||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|4||demonstrate proficient skills in oral/visual presentation and skills in professional writing||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.