Explores the fundamentals of nutritional medicine, emphasising holistic and evidence-based approaches to supporting health and wellbeing. Food and nutrients are examined via a social, ecological, biological and therapeutic lens to establish foundation knowledge and skills relevant to contemporary nutritional medicine practice. Students learn about macro- and micro-nutrients, including optimal dietary sources, recommended intakes, biochemical functions, and physiological roles in health and disease. Students also apply knowledge and skills by undertaking a dietary analysis and developing an evidence-based healthy diet plan.
- Food and nutrition fundamentals
- Energy balance and systems-based overview of nutrients part A
- Systems-based overview of nutrients part B
- Systems-based overview of nutrients part C
- Foundations of dietary analysis and planning
- Contemporary issues in nutrition
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||illustrate relationships between food, nutrition and the socio-ecological environment|
|2||recognise dietary guidelines, nutritional classifications, dietary sources of nutrients/energy, nutritional biochemistry and their roles in health and disease|
|3||implement a dietary analysis and devise an evidence-based healthy diet plan|
|4||apply knowledge of contemporary issues in nutrition to healthy eating|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- illustrate relationships between food, nutrition and the socio-ecological environment
- recognise dietary guidelines, nutritional classifications, dietary sources of nutrients/energy, nutritional biochemistry and their roles in health and disease
- implement a dietary analysis and devise an evidence-based healthy diet plan
- apply knowledge of contemporary issues in nutrition to healthy eating
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
Foodzone. (2022). Nutrition Experts. https://foodzone.io/
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.