|Online||Study Period 4||Study Period 4|
Examines contemporary evidence based positive behaviour support approaches. Strategies for aligning organisational policies and support with evidence based practice will be operationalised within a person centred framework. The skills of mentoring and leading a behaviour support team will be developed.
- Key literature and legislation pertaining to positive behaviour support
- Knowing the person, building relationships and actioning interests and aspirations
- Environments, systems and strategies that facilitate opportunity, engagement, communication, choice, control and meaningful activity
- Functional assessment of behaviour: approaches and tools, and evidence based positive behaviour support practices to endorse least restrictive approaches
- Working with teams: multidisciplinary, families, networks of support
- Behaviour Support Planning: developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluation
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically appraise the contribution of the main theoretical constructs and legislation in influencing positive behaviour support||Ethical practice|
|2||support staff in the development and maintenance of positive environments and relationships relevant to the person’s interests and interactional styles||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|3||construct a model that explains the functions of a person’s challenging behaviour and how those are maintained||Ethical practice||Cultural competence|
|4||provide leadership in initiating and collaborating to develop a behaviour support plan with a team||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|5||evaluate the implementation of a behaviour support plan to ensure best evidence based practice||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|6||critically appraise organisational policies and strategies to ensure least restrictive practices||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
Study Period 4
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
|Structured online learning (6wks)|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.