Examines the principles of a person-centred care approach and its application to all areas of diabetes management. Introduces communication strategies to motivate and support key diabetes self-care behaviours. Develops understanding of major health behaviour theories and implications for practice in diabetes care and program development. Students explore educational theories, practical elements of learning design, and develop diabetes education resources to meet the diverse needs of people living with prediabetes and diabetes.
- Introduction to diabetes self-management education theory and practice
- Communication theories and techniques
- Health behaviour and educational theories
- Diabetes resource and program design
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples living with diabetes
- Diabetes management in culturally and linguistically diverse populations
The unit learning outcomes address elements from Domain 1 (Clinical Practice), 2 (Education and Counselling), and 3 (Research and Quality Improvement) of the National Competency Standards for Credentialled Diabetes Educators.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||apply theories of health behaviour to diabetes education|
|2||demonstrate capability to develop a group education session incorporating strategies and resources|
|3||utilise a person centred approach to explain key diabetes self-care behaviours|
|4||match program goals and objectives to evaluation and national diabetes education outcomes and indicators|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- apply theories of health behaviour to diabetes education
- demonstrate capability to develop a group education session incorporating strategies and resources
- utilise a person centred approach to explain key diabetes self-care behaviours
- match program goals and objectives to evaluation and national diabetes education outcomes and indicators
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.