Introduces the fundamentals of thermodynamics, the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy. In broad terms, thermodynamics deals with the transfer of energy from one place to another and from one form to another. Students will also learn about heat, which is a form of energy that can be converted into a specific amount of work, and nuclear energy. All of these types of energy are used to make machines work in one way or another.
Module 1: Work, energy, and energy resources
Module 2: Linear momentum and collisions
Module 3: Temperature, kinetic theory and the gas laws
Module 4: Heat and heat transfer methods
Module 5: Thermodynamics
Module 6: Nuclear energy
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of foundation concepts of energy and thermodynamics across various fields of application|
|2||apply knowledge of energy and thermodynamics to solve intermediate industry-related problems|
|3||communicate how properties of energy and thermodynamics are used to inspire emerging trends across various fields of application|
|4||conduct experiments involving energy and thermodynamics to measure and analyse basic design concepts|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of foundation concepts of energy and thermodynamics across various fields of application
- apply knowledge of energy and thermodynamics to solve intermediate industry-related problems
- communicate how properties of energy and thermodynamics are used to inspire emerging trends across various fields of application
- conduct experiments involving energy and thermodynamics to measure and analyse basic design concepts
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.