Introduces students to the concepts of foot and ankle surgery in the podiatry profession. Surgical treatment modalities are introduced including minor nail and skin procedures. The theory of advanced podiatric foot and ankle surgery is examined through case-based learning.
- Foot and ankle procedures and evidence based surgery
- Patient selection for surgery
- Theatre protocol and sterilisation
- Pre/peri and post-operative care of the surgical patient
- Medico-legal requirements of surgical intervention
- Understanding foot and ankle anatomy
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||classify and critique common foot and ankle procedures and associated evidence base|
|2||describe the issues pertaining to patient selection for surgery|
|3||implement knowledge of theatre protocol and sterilisation through practical applications|
|4||critique pre/peri and post-operative care of the patient undergoing foot surgery|
|5||evaluate and communicate the medico-legal requirements of surgical intervention|
|6||apply knowledge of foot and ankle anatomy in relation to surgical decision making|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- classify and critique common foot and ankle procedures and associated evidence base
- describe the issues pertaining to patient selection for surgery
- implement knowledge of theatre protocol and sterilisation through practical applications
- critique pre/peri and post-operative care of the patient undergoing foot surgery
- evaluate and communicate the medico-legal requirements of surgical intervention
- apply knowledge of foot and ankle anatomy in relation to surgical decision making
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.