Provides students with an understanding of some institutions and processes of government and politics in Australia. Emphasises critical thinking through the opportunity to develop and present coherent and persuasive arguments both orally and in writing on important political questions. Develops technological skills through online participation and discussion.
Module 1: What is Democracy and liberalism?
Module 2: Federalism
Module 3: Parliament – The Legislature
Module 4: The Executive
Module 5: The High Court
Module 6: The Australian party system
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||explain the role of political institutions and people within them, as well as concepts such as government and democracy|
|2||identify and explain the factors affecting government and democracy in Australia|
|3||present coherent and persuasive arguments on important political issues|
|4||utilise online research and retrieval systems to produce creditable work.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain the role of political institutions and people within them, as well as concepts such as government and democracy
- identify and explain the factors affecting government and democracy in Australia
- present coherent and persuasive arguments on important political issues
- utilise online research and retrieval systems to produce creditable work.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Miragliotta, N, Errington, W & Barry, N , 2013, The Australian Political System in Action, 2nd edn, Oxford University Press, South Melbourne.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.