2022 unit offering information will be available in November 2021
Provides students with practical skills in policy analysis and critique using an approach that explores how policy ‘problems’ are constructed. Enables students to analyse problem representations and apply these to policy case studies. Encourages students to think critically about how governing occurs and the implications for those being governed.
1. Policy 'problems' and problem representations
2. Analysing assumptions in problem representations
3. The discovery of problem representations
4. Identifying limits to problem representations
5. Identifying effects of problem representations
6. Governmentality: thinking about how conduct is governed
7. Rethinking policy analysis
8. Case studies in welfare, ‘youth’ and unemployment
9. Case studies in health, wellbeing and dangerous consumption
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe how to analyse problem representations|
|2||undertake an analysis of a problem representation|
|3||discuss the contribution of governmentality to policy analysis and critique|
|4||apply an analysis of a problem representation to critically discuss a policy, including the implications for those being governed.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe how to analyse problem representations
- undertake an analysis of a problem representation
- discuss the contribution of governmentality to policy analysis and critique
- apply an analysis of a problem representation to critically discuss a policy, including the implications for those being governed.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.