Develops knowledge and skills in methods of observation, measurement and psychometric assessment, including the use of formal psychological tests. Ethical and cultural factors as they relate to psychological assessment are considered throughout the unit.
Introduction and unit overview
- Psychological testing and assessment
- Historical, cultural, legal and ethical considerations (including the APS Codes of Ethics)
- Research in Psychological Assessment
- Intelligence and its measurement
- Tests of intelligence
- A brief stats refresher; reliability and validity
- Tests and testing
- Personality assessment overview and methods
- Clinical and counselling assessments
- Assessments in the disability sector (functional analysis, adaptive functioning measures, case management, etc...)
- Preschool and educational assessment; Paediatric testing and assessment
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||explain psychological assessment and psychometric concepts from a critical perspective|
|2||describe methods for test development and scoring|
|3||examine key concepts relating to clinical cut-off scores and cross-cultural assessment|
|4||critically reflect on self-administration of a psychometric test|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain psychological assessment and psychometric concepts from a critical perspective
- describe methods for test development and scoring
- examine key concepts relating to clinical cut-off scores and cross-cultural assessment
- critically reflect on self-administration of a psychometric test
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.