Acquaints students with key historical, philosophical, social and cultural aspects of psychology in relation to the current state of the discipline. Skills related to critical thinking and the dissemination of complex scientific subject matter to a broad audience will also be extended. This unit relies on peer-to peer learning and students engaging in reflective practice.
- The historical context and founding of experimental psychology, and the resultant development of the science and practice of psychology
- The divergent approaches to psychology in its early decades
- Behaviourism, neobehaviourism, and cognitive psychology
- Humanistic (third force psychology) and positive psychology
- Evolution and individual differences, evolutionary psychology
- Topical Issues and contemporary approaches to psychology
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||synthesise and effectively communicate complex psychological knowledge|
|2||explain and critique key concepts in contemporary and historical theory and practice.|
|3||critically evaluate the impact of historical, philosophical, social and/or cultural factors on contemporary research and practice|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- synthesise and effectively communicate complex psychological knowledge
- explain and critique key concepts in contemporary and historical theory and practice.
- critically evaluate the impact of historical, philosophical, social and/or cultural factors on contemporary research and practice
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.