Introduce students to advanced concepts and skills related to professional roles in psychology in both the clinical and research domains, as well as those that may apply in a wide range of employment settings. The content will foster critical thinking, ethical interpersonal behaviour, personal reflection and interviewing skills. This unit employs a combination of problem based learning and teacher-directed activities. Students are provided training in pre-professional skills and receive feedback on their performance and their ability to critique their own work. Introductory training in motivational interviewing, cultural responsiveness and exposure to Indigenous Knowledge regarding psychosocial factors affecting wellness is provided.
- Engaging a client using motivational interviewing
- Helping a client move towards change using motivational interviewing
- Ethical principles in practice
- Implementing standardised psychological instruments in practice
- Cultural awareness and responsiveness
- Generic professional skills for careers in psychology
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate pre-professional communication and interviewing skills|
|2||collaborate to formulate solutions to address ethical dilemmas appropriate to psychology|
|3||examine widely used standardised psychological test instruments within culturally appropriate frames of reference|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate pre-professional communication and interviewing skills
- collaborate to formulate solutions to address ethical dilemmas appropriate to psychology
- examine widely used standardised psychological test instruments within culturally appropriate frames of reference
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.